Tri-X Negative R.P. Film 7207 e.i. 125

John Woods

I've got some of this 7207 Tri-X negative expired film from the 80s. The box is marked as Gun Camera Refills. Its double perfed with Regular 8 perfs and comes on a tiny non-standard core that won't fit on anything that a regular camera uses. I got it cheap and will spool it onto daylight spools for some tests.

I'm curious if anyone knows anything about this type of film (like what R.P. stands for?) or about gun cameras and why it uses R8 perfs (better registration?). Thx!

• Premium Member

I have a small gun camera which uses a very small core. It came with a factory test roll on 16mm Double perf film. (not regular 8 which has twice as many perfs per foot) I have not tried the camera as I would need at least one more core to load film in it.

If anyone is interested, I could probably get out my digital snapshot camera and post a few pics. (if I can find where I stashed it)

• Premium Member

Only slightly related, I bought a surplus 16mm Strike camera which I have not been able to try as it also uses a small core. I took some digital pictures and placed them on Flicker.

StrikeCAm16mm

or

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjw5736n

One shot shows the core that came with my camera, I wonder if it is like the cores on your film. This camera takes 33 ft loads.

The Military also bought 50 ft loads to refill standard 16mm metal magazines, those use a different core as far as I know.

Charles, interesting little camera! It looks quite compact, what are the dimensions? Did that film come out of the camera?

My cores look exactly like those ones where the film is held on by a brass ring.

If you're interested send me a PM with your address and I'll mail you a couple cores so you can use that camera.

• Premium Member

Charles, interesting little camera! It looks quite compact, what are the dimensions? Did that film come out of the camera?

My cores look exactly like those ones where the film is held on by a brass ring.

The little camera seems to be unused surplus. It came with the "Factory test roll" of film wound on a return reel as shown, and with one core. It also came with a 3 or 4 page instruction sheet. made in 1958 so it has not be run in 50 years.

• 5 months later...

Hello all,

Hate for my first post to be bringing up an old thread but its what brought me in here and this is somewhat my fault... I think. About 6 years ago I bought several hundred pounds of old surplus film. Some went to recycle some I kept and a bit got sold off on ebay some in bulk some one at a time. There was alot of diffrent types ME-4, RVNP, VNF, BW, recordak, daylight spools, gun camera loads ect...

It also came with a few interesting stories from the old guy that ran the place I bought it from sadly he passed away a couple of years ago and the place has closed. The long and the short of it was there is alot of photos and movies made on this stuff by guys that had friends in the photo lab. Minolta 16's consumed alot of gun camera film according to the tales.

On the topic of this particular film I started with D-76, rapid fixer and standard tri-x still negative processing times according to late 70's B&W darkroom handbook. Exposure index mileage may vary Ive used EI64 with good results. If you need cores let me know may even get some old VNF or ME-4 thrown in out of laziness.

Austin