Bolex EL differences in early (Mk1) and late (Mk3) series?

Andy Davidhazy

I'm trying to better understand all the differences between the early and late versions of the Bolex EL. I've scoured the internet for this info, but can't find much. I have a manual for the first version, but I own a late version with a couple visible differences that I can see. Such as the Mk3 series having a power connection to the better WM take-up motor, and there's a button on the front face of the Mk3 to the left of the bayonet mount which the Mk1 doesn't have. And I'm not quite sure it does.

What other functional or performance-related differences are there? Any practical reason why someone would want one over the other?

Thanks for the help!

Hi,

I own one mk.2 as I remeber it right, the most important difference between mk.2 and 3 versions, is mk.3 has got higher ISO sensitivity for light meter. Something like ASA 1600. Mine mk.2 has got only ASA 630. But I've never got any problem with that, since there aren't any stock with such a high EI rating.

If you're interesting in buying one, I'd rather think about to go either Super16 or Normal16 way (and also subsequent lenses...) and then overall condition of particular camera.

All in all I can say, Bolex EL is a great camera, great piece of gear. Now I've moved to Arri SR and Aaton LTR cameras (so my Bolex EL N16 kit is for sale, btw ;) ), but I still can't say EL is worst from them. Especially (very good) built-in light meter is really handy in documentary style shooting.

And one last thing - are you planning to shoot 100' or 400' reels ? (with appropriate bolex magazine).