RED lenses

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone has shot 35mm film with the new RED lenses. What were your results like? How does it preform wide open (1.8)? I have access to a complete set of RED primes and a ARRI 3 camera. If anyone knows the results of any decent tests that are online a link would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Scott

• Premium Member

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone has shot 35mm film with the new RED lenses. What were your results like? How does it preform wide open (1.8)? I have access to a complete set of RED primes and a ARRI 3 camera. If anyone knows the results of any decent tests that are online a link would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Scott

Don't use the 18mm, it will hit the shutter.

• Premium Member

Don't use the 18mm, it will hit the shutter.

That's a problem I've suggested Arri could solve by introducing a variant on the PL mount. Alas, no interest.

My idea is to add a pin that sticks out to the lens, and for electronic cameras with no shutter, a hole that allows that pin to enter. On cameras with a shutter, the pin would prevent mounting an unsafe lens. Film designed lenses without the pin would work fine on cameras with the extra hole in the mount.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

What are your thoughts about the images compared to cookes or maser primes?

The lenses are sharp, a little like UltraPrimes. Personally I prefer Cooke over Zeiss, you need to test and see if you like them, they do the job perfectly well & they are not very expensive to buy. I am testing some again soon.

The lenses are sharp, a little like UltraPrimes. Personally I prefer Cooke over Zeiss, you need to test and see if you like them, they do the job perfectly well & they are not very expensive to buy. I am testing some again soon.

Thanks, I try to pull some tests off. I thought they may be sharp seeing as how they were designed for HD. I'll be using them in Canada in January. I hope they handle cold well.