Aerial Photography

Guy Meachin

Im looking at shooting some footage of Snowdonia, Wales for my next short. How would I go about mounting my XL1S to a 'search and rescue' helicopter for some aerial footage. I know this sounds like a bit of a stupid question, and a funny one at that, but I am curious none the less.

The other thing I am concerned about is the camera freezing over which could cause some major problems to the camera, obviously. How do I overcome this, LOW BUDGET! Is it possible, is it sensible to try it? Probably not!

• Premium Member

It depends on the type of helicopter and the type of shots you want. Usually the simplest approach is best.

Since it's low budget, a Tyler mount or Wescam rig is probably out of the question (unless the helicopter already happens to have a remote camera mount).

Believe it or not, you can get decent results with plain-old handheld operating from a helicopter, as long as you're on a wide lens and the camera has sufficient mass. Once you try to zoom in things will start to get shaky, no matter how well you grip the camera. With balanced cameras like Betacam you can brace the camera on your shoulder or lap and still retain adequate control. With the XL-1 you may want to add some kind of baseplate or handles to give you more leverage over the camera. I once rigged a bungee mount in a small Huey helicopter to take the weight of the camera, with reasonable results.

It's also helpful to have a remote monitor so you don't have to keep your eye to the eyepiece. A small LCD screen comes in handy for this, but I've also used 8" field monitors and removed the viewfinder from the body of the Betacam camera so I could position it more conveniently. The biggest challenge is trying to keep the horizon level. The aircraft will subtly roll without you realizing it, so program your brain to watch your level while framing.

Usually you're shooting out the open side door of the helicopter, which raises two concerns -- safety, and exposure to the elements.

First and most important is safety. You and all your gear need to be securely fastened down to the aircraft. Safety cable or harness everything. Even a loose battery on the floor can become a deadly bomb to someone on the ground. Remember, the aircraft tips sideways and you've got an open door, several hundred feet up.

If it's cold where you're shooting (and it sounds like it is) then the open door approach presents some problems. What can I say, but bundle up! Shooting through the glass of a helicopter usually shows distortion, dirt and scratches (like a dirty car windshield). Consider wrapping the camera in heat packs if you're worried about the equipment freezing.

Talk to your pilot ahead of time about your ideas and how he/she might accommodate them. He will know the practicality of certain maneuvers and altitudes, and he's the boss when you're in the air, so listen to him. There are really only so many types of shots you're going to be able to get out the side of a helicopter. For example, the straight-on dolly forward shot requires the pilot to take the craft out of trim and fly diagonally, which requires a little more skill. He will also be able to tell you how you can mount gear to the helicopter itself.

Lastly, for goodness sakes, NEVER approach a helicopter from the rear. The tail rotor will kill you before you even know what happened. Better yet, go over all the safety issues with the pilot or aerial coordinator before even getting near the aircraft. I don't mean to sound reactionary, but the safety issues around helicopters are not to be taken lightly. Beyond that, they're a blast, and you can get some great shots!