JVC GY-110 Audio Problem

tony powell

Wondering if someone can help me with an audio problem I’ve been encountering when filming with my JVC GY-110 HDV camera. I recently shot some footage outdoors, using a radio mic, and on a separate occasion, indoors, using the on board camera mic. When I digitised the footage, there was a static ‘ buzz ‘ on both tracks. As I got this when filming outside as well, I know it can’t be due to interference from any household electrics, so does this mean the problem lies with the XLR sockets on my camera, and if so does anyone know how to fix it ? Or alternatively, could there be a more simple explanation ?

I’d be very grateful if anyone could help with this, or even if you’re based in the Bristol / Bath area, if someone could spare a little time having a look for me.

I’m doing some unpaid work for a very deserving charity, who need something for their website by the end of next week. I’d be glad to give anyone who could help a credit on the piece, but sadly, cannot afford to pay, other than plying you with some beers, and of course, any favours I could do in return.

Many thanks for looking

• 2 weeks later...

Check the cabling, almost every time I've encountered buzz one of the cores in a balanced cable like an XLR or PO jack has been damaged and loses its common mode rejection. If it's not the cables, check inside for any obvious dry joints.

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith