overstocked 250D

hi everyone

I am intending to shoot an expressionist music video up in the mountains on 16mm.

The look has to be quite blueish and unfriendly. Grain is anticipated, also I would like to keep saturation low but not lose contrast. There might still be some snow or actually a lot of snow on location so that low contrast isnt possible or I will lose all the detail and definition of the picture.

I intended to use Kodak 7274 with partial correction to help create the blue effect.

pushing is probably not necessary as the slow 7274 will hold its fine grain even if rated at 400ASA and pushed 1 to 1 1/2 stops. Am I right?

Now I stumbled over 4 unused rolls of 7246 250D. It has been kept in the fridge for a while. I used some of it 4 months ago, the colours were less saturated than normal 250D and there was some obvious grain, especially in the shadows. The fog level might be quite high though.

Which stock is the best to go for in regard of the look I want to create?

I know, I will have to shoot some tests. But I need to know whether to have my lab to push the film or not.

thanks for help and advice

Olivier

I don't know how long "for a while" means for the film in your fridge. Months? Years? Whatever results you got four months ago should be about the same now. You said this was a music video--all of these effects you're discussing can be achieved in the video transfer.

• Premium Member

Sounds like that 7246 may have been quite old, or kept improperly. A lab can usually run a "clip test" to check fog level against fresh film of the same type, or even run full sensitometry to see if there is any contrast change. If the fog level is elevated, it's also likely you will have more graininess.

Here's information about proper film storage:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/...ical/care.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/sleuth/