Lump in the throat

Guest Tim Partridge

" ... Hobbits must be identified as ordinary people like anyone in the audience - just smaller.

Hmmm, I don't know about that, maybe that's up to interpretation.

It's been a long time since I read the books, but I don't remember anything that would lead me to believe that the hobbits couldn't be "very" different from normal people.

Sure, a Hobbit is not a Dwarf, but they're not just regular people, but smaller either. I think it would have been easier (and more convincing) to have made a dwarf look more like a hobbit, than a large person.

And certainly there's absolutely no justification possible, for not using a real dwarf to play A DWARF!!!

Matt Pacini

And certainly there's absolutely no justification possible, for not using a real dwarf to play A DWARF!!!

Curiously, there is much controversy about the discovery, last year, of a supposedly different species of human remains somewhere in Indonesia. The discoverers believe the bones to be those of "homo floriensis", a "hobbit-sized" creature with some degree of intelligence, about a metre tall. Some Indonesian academics insist that they are just the remains of a human suffering from microcephalis - in other words, a dwarf human.

So it seems that a HOBBIT is not a DWARF, or vice versa.

Not that I'm suggesting LOTR is really a true story. But it's a nice idea.

All a film crew has to work with really is story.

No matter how elaborate the sets or how seamless the effects, the core of what makes a movie good or bad is story.

So, I think the crew for Lord of the Rings did outstanding, considering what they had to work with.

I'd like to see the same effort put into a better story.