Good Bye Lenin

• Premium Member

I watched the DVD version of this film the other day. There's some interesting supplemental material, especially a discussion about how the film was cut down to two hours. The director, Wolfgang Becker, called in another director, Tom Tykwer, and absented himself for three days while Tykwer and the film's editor cut an hour of material. Then the three talked through the proposed cuts. The DVD contains several of the discarded scenes and discussion between Becker and Tykwer about the rationales for cutting them. Worth listening to, as is the segment on using computer generated images in a realistic film and Becker's commentary on trying to recreate 1989 East Berlin on a tight budget.

Edited by R. Edge

If you like GOODBYE LENIN, have a look at Becker's older film LIFE IS ALL YOU GET (Das Leben ist eine Baustelle).

Life Is All You Get

Same DP, a story not as straightforward told as LENIN, but most enjoyable.

Not available on DVD in the US, I'm afraid, but there's a PAL DVD (with English and french subtitles) that can be ordered through Amazon (Region 2 Code!)

DVD (PAL, R2) Das Leben ist eine Baustelle

BTW, Tom Tykver is not only a director in his own right, but he was Wolfgang Beckers co-author in writiung the LENIN script, so he was the natural choice to discuss and supervise cutting down the film.

Edited by Christian Appelt

• Premium Member

Christian,

I think you probably meant to say that Becker and Tykwer co-authored Life Is All You Get. In any event, they do appear to be partners in the production company that made Good Bye Lenin.

What I found interesting about this film is that Becker and the cast do a nice job of getting the audience to accept a narrative that pushes the outer limits of plausibility. It's the kind of thing that Pedro Almodovar does particularly well, and it isn't easy to do. It takes charming chutzpah and a fine balance between comedy and drama. In this case, the film is also very well served by Yann Tiersen's score.