lenses used for heat

Keith Mottram

• Premium Member

watched heat again last night, and really liked the artifacts from the lenses, especially all the softness when shooting at night and the great use of long lenses. which anamorphics did they use?

thanks

Keith

• Premium Member

I think I recall it was the E-series.

It was quite grainy on the big screen when I saw it the first time (5298), but it has some wonderful, gutsy cinematography. Didn't like it back then, but now it's one of my top 10 fav

movies.... :unsure:

• Premium Member

There is a 1995 AC article on the film

'Heat' was shot on Primos and the Ultra Speed Golden Lenses. The USG lenses open up to 1.4-1.6, and there is a 50mm that even opens up to 1.1. However they shot the 50mm at 1.4 because wide open it would look too soft. The USG lenses were used for much of the available light shots at night. But not all of the night scenes were shot wide open, some they lit to higher stops, so that they could use the Primo Zooms as well, since Michael Mann likes slow zoom-ins.

My favourite shot in 'Heat' is when Robert de Niro is about to leave town and his profession with his girlfriend. They drive through the night on the motorway when they suddenly come into a lit tunnel. The stop is not adjusted and the picture is slightly overexposed. The car glides through this heavenly whiteness and it perfectly captures the feeling of this moment, which alas will not last.

• Premium Member

Funny - that's my favorite moment too!! :D

I think I remember reading that Dante pushed one stop for some of the night scenes.

BTW - it gets realeased in a double disc Special edition DVD at the end of march, so that

might be worth picking up. I know I will!

Edited by AdamFrisch