Rates these days for 35mm to 1080p

Brian Rose

Hi All,

My employer has around 5000 ft of 35mm neg to be transferred to 1080p HD. My preferred lab is Cinelab, because I've always been pleased with their quality versus their pricing. But that has all been with Super 8 or 16mm stocks, and I'm wondering if there are any places you all have dealt with that might also offer competitive rates along with quality of service? Cinelab's best light rate is .15 per foot, so if you know of anyone who can beat that, I'd love to hear from you, as well as what your experience was like.

Many thanks!

BR

• Premium Member

Cinelicious & Lightpress are sponsors of this site (just like Cinelab) and do amazing work. They both love film and it shows in their work. In general it's more about the colorist than the facility so keep that in mind.

My experience has been that all the best transfer houses are willing to make deals, especially if you aren't going to be sitting over their shoulder and commenting while they are doing it. They all need to keep their machines running as much as possible.

There's also a transfer house here in Dallas that does world class work but it something of a boutique and only known to a few commercial clients. It's called "&transfer"; used to be part of the Dallas based "Video Post & Transfer". It was recently bought and is diving into film restoration as well as high-end commercial work. Steve Franko is a well known colorist that is cranking out amazing work on their Spirits. Talk to those guys and tell them what you want to do. Say you have 5000 feet and $750 and see if they can do it. Terry is the booking manager and is great to work with.

Another one is Filmworkers club that has a few offices around the country, I've had great results with them as well.

http://www.andtransfer.com/

Cinelicious & Lightpress are sponsors of this site (just like Cinelab) and do amazing work. They both love film and it shows in their work. In general it's more about the colorist than the facility so keep that in mind.

My experience has been that all the best transfer houses are willing to make deals, especially if you aren't going to be sitting over their shoulder and commenting while they are doing it. They all need to keep their machines running as much as possible.

There's also a transfer house here in Dallas that does world class work but it something of a boutique and only known to a few commercial clients. It's called "&transfer"; used to be part of the Dallas based "Video Post & Transfer". It was recently bought and is diving into film restoration as well as high-end commercial work. Steve Franko is a well known colorist that is cranking out amazing work on their Spirits. Talk to those guys and tell them what you want to do. Say you have 5000 feet and $750 and see if they can do it. Terry is the booking manager and is great to work with.

Another one is Filmworkers club that has a few offices around the country, I've had great results with them as well.

http://www.andtransfer.com/

Cool, I'll look into them!

Thanks!

BR

• 3 weeks later...