Please rate my showreel

Joseph Eckworth

hi there,

Ive just my first showreel from most of the work ive done as a student.

id really appreciate some feedback. namely with the way i edited it really, but also what shots i could possibly lose, if theres any i could draw out etc.

and finally am i likely to find any work (paid or unpaid) off the back of this?

go on, be honest!

http://vimeo.com/34269686

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Overall, it looks pretty good. The B&W section and the section after it looked very good.

There were several shots from the first section with the old man that looked over-lit to me, namely the CUs of him in bed. I'd also lose the second half of the last shot of the servant going up the stairs. That will make that whole section look better.

If you want to sell yourself as a documentary DP and a narrative DP, that's fine, but I'd split your work into a documentary reel and a narrative reel. If I'm looking for a DP for a narrative, I don't care that you can also shoot documentaries (or vice versa).

• 1 month later...

Your opening scenes look as if they were lifted directly from the edited film with that film's pacing. While that may work for the film it's much too slow for the reel. I'd suggest that you can keep all the scenes but re cut at a faster pace. Many shots are just left up there too long especially when it's a face closeup without any other action. Can you get work from this reel? The reel is just one part of that. Yours would certainly get some attention and maybe a few calls but it's how you sell yourself after that that will really answer that question.

Oh, and Mat is right, get rid of the documentary stuff and/or put together a separate reel for that. It was a bit jarring. You go from a nice filmic aesthetic to "video".

Just my humble 2 cents worth...