Saving Private Ryan

Sean Comerford

Janusz Kaminski was the DP on Saving Private Ryan. I was just watching it the other day and in nearly every scene, when the sky is in frame, it is totally blown out, but the exposure on everything else is perfect. I was wondering how he got this? It is such a wonderful effect.

Janusz Kaminski was the DP on Saving Private Ryan. I was just watching it the other day and in nearly every scene, when the sky is in frame, it is totally blown out, but the exposure on everything else is perfect. I was wondering how he got this? It is such a wonderful effect.

Like this:

saving04.jpg

A combination of it being overcast and the bleach bypass process used in the film adding contrast and reducing saturation.

The scene also looks pretty bright whereas sometimes dps will underexpose overcast footage a tiny bit.

In general, blowing out the sky is easy; keeping detail in an overcast sky is hard!

Edited by M Joel Wauhkonen

In general, blowing out the sky is easy; keeping detail in an overcast sky is hard!

This.

Reading this post at first, I thought it was a trick question! It's easy to blow out a *blue sky* Film's latitude isn't infinite! Then there's getting what's on the negative onto the print, where you lose even further detail.

IDK if foregoing a bleach bypass (which increases contrast and therefore lowers latitude) would have saved the sky in this particular setting. I don't think the production crew *wanted* pretty clouds in the sky for this particular film, do you?

Please search on this movie. Dozens of people, including myself, have asked questions on this movie going back a decade. All the information youwant on the look of this movie can be found with a simple search. ( site:cinematography.com Private Ryan on Google would be a good start).

• 2 weeks later...