Desperate Housewives

Keith Walters

• Premium Member

ALEXA meets DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES

One of the few remaining Prime Time film holdouts is finally making the switch to Digital Acquisition.

I always thought Desperate Housewives was a pretty silly show, but I always loved the cinematography. As the article explains, a lot of the shots require interiors looking onto the "Wisteria Lane" backlot illuminated by actual daylight, conditions which traditionally give electronic cameras a very hard time.

I'd never actually heard much about IR contamination problems with the Alexa, but there's no reason why it wouldn't suffer from them of course.

The only sad thing is that our local networks no longer broadcast their main channel in HD. Originally they would simulcast their main channel in 576i digital and 1080i digital. Now, (due to some unexplained finagling), they broadcast the main channel in SD along with three "low-rent" sub-channels, one of which is 1080i. The 7 network's 1080i channel is dubbed "Seven Mate" churning out endless mostly 4:3 ancient re-runs, supposedly male-oriented.

So we have the ludicrous situation of First-run shows being broadcast in SD, with later re-runs sometimes in HD! Except we probably won't be seeing Desperate Housewives in HD on a channel with a name like Seven Mate...