Any suggestions for home loading?

Rob Goldstein

• Premium Member
Just recived my first 100' roll of kodak 200t / 7274. From what I understand, the loading needs to be done in dark. I'm new to this, so does anyone have any suggestions for loading, while being able to see what i'm doing?

~rob

What camera? I assume the film is on a Kodak-packaged 100-foot camera spool? If you load quickly in subdued light, you probably will be fine, except for the risk of slight edgefog. Loading in a darkroom or changing bag eliminates the risk of having any fog.

Rob,

Try to get an old roll of film and load the camera many many many times in the light before you try it in the dark... that is, if you want it to work.

OR get daylight loads of film and go somewhere that isn't in bright sun. They work well and you only lose about 4 feet on the front end.

With loading, practice is the only real security.

good luck.

Well guys, I think I did it right. I did it in a very dim room, with the blinds closed. It's very cloudy out today also. I actuaually sent the film into the wrong thing at at first, and had to cut that piece off. Is that alright that I did that? I sent it threw the right thing afterwards, and it seems to be shooting fine.

• Premium Member
Mine is daylight. I could just do it in a dark room then?

Loading/unloading factory-spooled film in subdued light will fog the ends, and may have slight edgefog if the light is too bright or you take much too long.

As noted, practice will really help.

You will be amazed what you can get away with - they seem to work really well the daylight spools.

What I love doing is loading the camera when there are people watching who are unfamiliar with movie film and daylight spools - they think you are wrecking your film!

I'm always more careful unloading the film because I believe that when the film is loaded in the factory it is wound in a special way so to minimise edge fogging. Obviously when you unload the camera will not have wound it in the same precise manner.

Mabey John can confirm this.

Matt

• Premium Member
I'm always more careful unloading the film because I believe that when the film is loaded in the factory it is wound in a special way so to minimise edge fogging. Obviously when you unload the camera will not have wound it in the same precise manner.

Mabey John can confirm this.

Matt

Yes. As far as I know, factory-loaded spools are still wound such that the film is "wobbled" side-to-side, to limit light penetration between the film and spool.