digital to film printing device

Jeff Brown

digital to film printing device

in one of those "memory-dump-of-conversations-from-5-years-ago" moments, i remembered talking to a now-estranged acquaintence about a film printer he had bought at an auction.

it was a really cool device that would hook up to his pc via scsi and then would print series of digital images to 35mm stok. it was a desktop unit about the size of the older nikon coolscans and was pretty slow but he would take his lightwave renderings and be able to print them to film as photographs. it was pretty damn cool.

the one thing that my memory hasnt regurgitated is who made it... or anything else about it, except that it was white.

this is more of a still imaging question, but i have a feeling someone here would have an idea as to what im talking about :)

Lasergraphics?

I've never seen any output from it, but it sounds like a nice device.

I think there are two models curently in production. One of them can record 35mm slides only, and the other one is multy-purpuse, can record prints,

medium format positives and negatives and 35mm positives and negatives.

The later one has up to 16K resolution. Sounds great.

Might be usefull in slide duplication or film archiving of CG art or digital photos, but I see little use for it in today's workflow of photo professionals and amateurs.

but still, an unusual and impressive machine

Yea, but it prints MF transperecies at 16K, that's pretty cool.

wow, lasergrahipics make some pretty damn cool toys... but thise are far above the range of device that i am looking for.

i wouldnt be surprised to find out if it was (at best) a 2k recording device (hey, it was 5 years ago, and he got it used at that).

thanks for the input!

jeff

wow, lasergrahipics make some pretty damn cool toys... but thise are far above the range of device that i am looking for.

i wouldnt be surprised to find out if it was (at best) a 2k recording device (hey, it was 5 years ago, and he got it used at that).

thanks for the input!

jeff

i guess i should have checked the obvious places first:

put 'film recorder' into ebay, and a ton of these things pop up!

and now i have endangered myself to the next round of toys.... someone hide my wallet.

i guess i should have checked the obvious places first:

put 'film recorder' into ebay, and a ton of these things pop up! 

and now i have endangered myself to the next round of toys.... someone hide my wallet.

A cheaper alternative is to have it printed to photo paper at some nearby lab.

They don't record it to film, but then again, what can you do with film expet print it to paper or scan it? Well, I guess you can project it if you record it to reversal film.

Do you need this for projection?

A cheaper alternative is to have it printed to photo paper at some nearby lab.

They don't record it to film, but then again, what can you do with film expet print it to paper or scan it? Well, I guess you can project it if you record it to reversal film.

Do you need this for projection?

nope, no 'need' about it :)

i just thought it would be fun to be able to combine the best of digital 2d/3d and photographic processes, thats all. ive been getting into medium film format lately, and i thought tthat one of these would be fun