What Cine Zoom lens to buy?

Hi All,

Looking at buying a zoom lens and I'd like to open the floor to a mini debate about what I should go for. The choice is a Optimo 24-290 vs Alura 45-250 AND LWZ 15.5-45.

The 24-290 is an amazing lens but how long has it actually been around for? I don't remember it not being around in my 6 years of professional shooting. It feels like it's very much in need of an overhaul, coverage and sharpness could be improved. Also going for the LWZ and Alura means I'd have 2 lenses instead of 1.

It's the ubiquitous nature of the 24-290 which makes me err towards one, as a lot of income will come from dry hires; is this the safest bet? I've used the 24-290 enough times to know it and feel comfortable using it but I've not had any experience with the LWZ or Alura.

Anyone got any big opinions?

Ben

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All,

Looking at buying a zoom lens and I'd like to open the floor to a mini debate about what I should go for. The choice is a Optimo 24-290 vs Alura 45-250 AND LWZ 15.5-45.

The 24-290 is an amazing lens but how long has it actually been around for? I don't remember it not being around in my 6 years of professional shooting. It feels like it's very much in need of an overhaul, coverage and sharpness could be improved. Also going for the LWZ and Alura means I'd have 2 lenses instead of 1.

It's the ubiquitous nature of the 24-290 which makes me err towards one, as a lot of income will come from dry hires; is this the safest bet? I've used the 24-290 enough times to know it and feel comfortable using it but I've not had any experience with the LWZ or Alura.

Anyone got any big opinions?

Ben

I guess there could be slight issues matching footage between the Alura and LWZ as they are different manufacturers. I only have the LZW - I really like it. Zeiss are supposed to be coming out with a telephoto zoom to compliment the 15.5-45 this year which will have matching optics. I don't know its focal range though - perhaps something like the alura - that would make sense.

The optimo is a monster!