sound quality

Hamza Ben

hi guys...

i've been surfing in vimeo, and came by this french commercial ...what really blew me out is the sound quality, it sounds so clean.

how do you think guys this was made? i mean the technique is it ADR or on set? what equipement could give such quality, i'm really dying for such a sound quality.

hope you'll help me.

the vid:

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys...

i've been surfing in vimeo, and came by this french commercial ...what really blew me out is the sound quality, it sounds so clean.

how do you think guys this was made? i mean the technique is it ADR or on set? what equipement could give such quality, i'm really dying for such a sound quality.

hope you'll help me.

the vid:

I agree with the quality. It's superb. I'd say it sounds like it was recorded on-location. Particularly the bathroom scene. Unless they went out of their way in post, but it was all tight shots, so it would have been easy to get in there real tight with a Schoeps.

I agree with the quality. It's superb. I'd say it sounds like it was recorded on-location. Particularly the bathroom scene. Unless they went out of their way in post, but it was all tight shots, so it would have been easy to get in there real tight with a Schoeps.

i asked the guy who made it, and he said that it was done(sound) on stage, and he told me that he would ask the sound guy about the method, so i'm waiting his answer :)

But keep in mind, no matter how good of equipment you have, it's all about microphone placement - top of the line equipment just allows a little more flexibility when you're developing your skill level.

It's not quite all about microphone placement. Correct gain structure and setting levels to camera (if single system) is as important, if not more important. Granted they're all important, but you can't just have correct mic placement and think you're in good shape.

There are so many factors that go into getting great sound quality.

a)The microphones used and their placement

b)The sound of the room where it is recorded, and any treatment of the room

c)The quality of the preamps used and the level setting of the preamps

d)The quality of the A/D converters

e)The post production and the correct use of compression

Getting all the factors right is the only way to get the most stunning sound. The results are only as good as the weakest link in the chain. In the end it comes down to experience, and knowing what's not right when you are recording/editing/mixing it. If the results are not so stellar, experienced professional operators usually quickly nut out the reasons why not.

thank you guys, i now have an idea about this, but really didnt know before about those equipements that daron james mentioned wooow that's freaking expensive.

but thanks to all of you, but i guess a sound mixer/designer(which i'm nt) is needed to make something like that.

cheers

• 5 months later...