Sachtler 20P

Hi,

So I'm looking at a possible example of the Sachtler 20P that we might walk away with for our production (with the minimal Aaton system)– I have tested out each of the drag settings. I'm assuming this is standard, but the upon tilting / panning on each new setting, the head has to engage, and you feel the heavy 'click" after a half second of panning / tilting. This is normal, right? Not an indication of spring / disks being too used up? I assuming it's fine, but I thought I'd make sure– it's been awhile since I have tried one of the heavier duty Sachtlers...

Thanks!

Isaac

• Premium Member

That's normal, just a pin engaging with one of the drag modules.

If it's a second-hand head I'd check for backlash when changing direction, or slippage during a faster move. Test the full movement range for lumps, tight spots or scraping. Make sure the pan/tilt lock-offs are locking the head securely, and the drag selectors move through the range without sticking. Check the top plate slides back and forth freely when its lock is released. Check the threads on the pan handle and tie-down locks to make sure they're not worn down to a saw- tooth profile.