Kodak's newest V3 50D now available to UltraPan8 filmmakers

Nicholas Kovats

Serendipity.

Kodak announces a refocus to their core competency aka film and my reperforated Vision 3 50D UP8 stock arrives the same day.

Specifically Mr Edward Nowill has reperforated Kodak's newest single perf 16mm stock (1R-2994) specifically for Bolex UltraPan8 cameras. Remember that the Ultrapan8 format, i.e.

1.) Utilizes the full 16mm width of R8 film (2R-1497) with R8 pulldown producing an aspect ratio = 2.8:1.

2.) Relative to 16mm magazines UP8 doubles shooting time, i.e. there are 80x UP8 frames per 16mm foot instead of 40 standard 16mm frames.

3.) UP8 is a native spherical format that utilizes standard 16mm c-mount optics. No re-centering required.

4.) The UP8 also has a native viewfinder with a Cinemascope mask (2.4:1).

5.) A scanned example =

View on Vimeo

A big thanks to Richard Tuohy of Nano Labs in Australia for suggesting we try using Mr. Nowill's 2nd industrial machine dedicated specifically to perforating sheet film. And reminding me of UP8's fundamental design criteria using R8 film (2R-1497) whereby the UP8 pulldown ONLY utilizes the B-Wind perf for pulldown (right side). The

A-Wind (left side) is not used.

Edward agreed to the test noting that his machine would not be using the stock factory single perf as a reference. It would punch 2 new left and right perfs per UP8 frame. Every 2nd left side perf would overlap the standard 16mm single perf. The end result being that the UP8 pulldown would ignore both of the redundant A -Wind (left side)

perfs (1st perf = single perf 16mm + 2nd perf R8 = 1R-1497 R8 per 16mm frame).

I have attached a quick photo illustrating the perfs from the film backing perspective with the emulsion hidden from view. This reperforated film has the correct orientation regarding B-Wind and the emulsion. I have also attached a photo with the emulsion facing my camera.

As the former single perf 16mm perf (1R-2994) has ended up being punched twice, first by Kodak and then second by Norwill, this special stock is not usable by the global Regular 8 user base. The attached photo may not have sufficient clarity to illustrate the non-usability of the A-Wind (left side) perfs. I have just realized I cannot post these two pics as I have previously exceeded my quota for this forum, i.e. "Used 194.91K of my 100K global upload quota". That upper limit is quite discerning in this day and age of cheap storage.

Kodak originally donated the 800 FT of V3 50D stock which is to be rolled down into 100FT rolls. Each of the five current UP8 camera users will be receiving 100 FT. I am going to reserve one 100FT roll as a dummy to test the threading path.

Edward charged a modest 40 GBP for the 800FT of film. I am working on reducing or eliminating the expensive shipping costs to the UK by sourcing single perf 16mm stock locally in Europe.

Stay tuned for posted scan results.