How far can one push Vision 3 50D and still produce a decent image?

Nicholas Kovats

I am aware of the general advantages regarding negative latitude. How far can I push this 50 ASA negative stock? 1, 2 or 3 stops? Any scanned examples?

Cheers!

Negative latitude is in the other direction—highlights. Pushing doesn't give you more shadow detail; just brighter midtones and highlights. So the further you push, the higher the contrast.

If you're going for a high-contrast look, it might be just what you're looking for. If you're just looking for more speed, it's probably simpler to go with 250D.

Thanks for posting, Ben.

Confirmed regarding the fact that pushing emphasizes highlights which results in increased contrast. Which may be just fine as I predominately shoot high contrast film with the UltraPan8 format I use. Specifically Ektachrome 100D. In fact I ended up rating the 50D at 400 ASA due to the lighting at the event.

I would have definitely availed myself of a faster Vision stock but I cannot due my utilization of the UltraPan8 format which utilizes Regular 8 film (2R-1497). Specifically the full 16mm width of R8 with R8 pulldown. Here is a scanned example, i.e.

In general there only two reversal R8 (2R-1497) stocks available, E100D and Plus-x. UltraPan8 utilizes the right side B-Wind perf for pulldown. I recently had Mr. Edward Nowill in the UK reperforate 800 FT of standard single perf 16mm V3 50D (1R-2994) into a special B-wind only R8 stock, i.e. 1R-1497.

Vision 3 250D/200T/500T are forthcoming.