Human Beings Short Film 35mm Kodak Vision 3

justinbrown

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

The production values were comparable to some mainstream films. Great work on all the technical aspects.

Before the end credits the film was about 11:35 min.

I don't know how you would classify the film, experimental or perhaps produced to concentrate on getting great production values.

I like movies that are entertaining, engaging, interesting. Something that makes me want to know "what happens next"

Based on that, I think one has to condense things to fit the 11 and a half minutes. The 2 main characters were neither likable or unlikable. Just there.

They wandered about a party for 5 minutes, they didn`t do anything of note. Their actions didn`t seemingly cause any consequences. The main character or characters don`t spend their whole time responding to things. They take action, that turns out well or turns out poorly. The BAD GUY was not established as being dangerous. His sort of girlfriend didn t want him to see one of the Zebras but that s it. Neither zebra interacted with him which would might have given him a reason to want to set him on fire. The reason could have been innocuous but he wasn t shown to be demented or quick to anger or anything.

The first half of the movie had no point. The second half at about the 6 minute mark had a conflict. His friend was missing. For me at least that didn t mean anything as I had no reason to care about him.

Suddenly when they arrive to see the Bad guy ranting and pouring gasoline. Some suspense could have been created. Perhaps the Bad guy s friends could block the Zebra and he had to use his wits to save his friend. I could think of a bunch of ways to make that scene more interesting and suspenseful. But he just throws the Bad Guy to the ground and then doesn t bother to untie his friend. Maybe there is some symbolism in the mysterious girl who untied him that I missed.

In a short film that is meant to involve the audience and since the second half did have a conflict and quest and a rescue I think it did, then everything has to be tightened. The film should have started with them arriving at the party, then do something that made us like them. The bad guy should have shown he was bad and they should have had some direct involvement with him so the second half made sense.

Well that s a lot of words that may be of no help so I will not go on.

But brilliant use of lighting, cinematography, camera work, sound and every other technical detail

I could never do those things. I don t know your budget but you used it to make the picture look great.

I envy that you had all those people working with you. I want to shoot a short when the final draft is ready, but can t think of even one person who will help me behind the camera.

you will have a great career as a DOP or in some other creative technical position

Good Luck

Barry