Shooting underwater...cheating it

Niall Conroy

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any neat suggestions or thoughts that might point me in the right direction.

I want to shoot a CU shot of an actors face underwater, exhaling milk - I don't/wont have any expensive camera housing units or water tanks for the actors - so i'm looking to try find an innovative way to shoot this

In the past we've shot a similar scene where we got a see-through plastic container, filled it with water - put the camera underneath (outside the container) - and got the actor to place their head down horizontally into the container - It did work, however it was only trying to simulate a 'head in sink' shot - which isn't what i'm looking for.

i did come across this video - which has a nice idea of placing the camera into a small fish tank and weighting it - only placing it a bit below the water level - however I don't have access to a swimming pool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh_hf8p0qCY

now, I realise i could shoot this in a bath tub - however, that would probably require the actor to do an awkward hand-stand or some other mad maneuver, which i doubt they'd be too pleased to do.

So - any suggestions ideas as to how I could shoot this - some way in which i can get an actors face to be submerged in water - in a relatively comfortable manner which wouldn't require too much effort on the actors behalf?

(also - i'll probably be shooting this scene on a 5D)

thanks for looking :)

Edited by Niall Conroy

Shooting a watered down talent through a fish tank full of water will usually give a pretty convincing underwater effect, as long as your talent doesn't have long hair.

The breathing out milk is a little more difficult, but I'd think that you should be able to do it in a similar manner to how one adds breathe effect. Shoot the milk getting dropped into water in front of a black background. Key out the black and composite it onto the shot o the talent.

Shooting a watered down talent through a fish tank full of water will usually give a pretty convincing underwater effect, as long as your talent doesn't have long hair.

The breathing out milk is a little more difficult, but I'd think that you should be able to do it in a similar manner to how one adds breathe effect. Shoot the milk getting dropped into water in front of a black background. Key out the black and composite it onto the shot o the talent.

Thanks for that, Matt.

It does seem a see-through large fish tank is be the best option so far - However, I don't think I would have to shoot the milk drop separately - I have shot a similar effect in a bathtub once where a friend just simply had milk in their mouth and when under water- spit it out(in a whistling shape like manner), which produced a great plume like effect.

GoPro is pretty inexpensive and has the waterproof casing sold with it. The odds are that someone you know has one that you could borrow for that shot.

this is also true - a few friends do own a gopro - which might be a solution if I cannot find a fishtank that is fully see-through the bottom - I guess the only draw-back is the auto-fixed focus and limited control over the image. Thanks for the suggestion.

it would be a dream to get our hands on one if we had a nice pool to shoot in - or the Irish waters were not so cold this time of year!

Besides, it may unfortunatley be a rental cost that our budget couldnt afford - considering we could get a gopro for free - or potentially find a see-through box suitable enough to shoot through

• 1 year later...

What about using the Hero 3 camera? It's image looks pretty impressive, and it comes with an underwater housing unit up to 60m. All in all, it looks like a really impressive little camera--especially for the price--400. It can also shoot up to 240fps (in SD ha). But still, check it out. It might be the more affordable option you're looking for.