Sony Primes In F3 Kit

Kevin Burton

I'm extremely close to picking up an F3 and was wondering about the Sony primes included with the kit. Are they worth the extra $4000 or so? Should I spend more to get Zeiss primes? My budget will be fairly generous but if the Sony primes are good for starting out then I can put more money to other accessories. Although I'm not a full-blood pro at this point, I am wanting my money to do the most good.

Is anyone using the new F3 zoom? Is it worth $20,000?

I work with this setup professionally and regularly for TV content.

If you're starting out the primes will work quite well for you. My only qualm with the primes is they're too close in focal length. I did hear that there's a wide zoom (11-16) on the way too. The zoom is like a blown up version of the EX3 lens. It's an ENG lens. It breathes, telescopes, and is slooooooooow. All that aside it's absolutely beautiful when you take into consideration it's intention as a broadcast lens. I found one a crippling bug in the firmware last week. While the F3 is set to output from the dual link SDI, the camera has lots of problems communicating with the lens. i.e. slow zoom response, no control of focus, etc... This may be resolved in the S-log upgrade (which my package does not have).

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

We used a set of Zeiss CP.2 primes on the last shoot we did, and I was really impressed. Clean, sharp, and well made lenses IMHO.