35mm single-frame

Charles Brubaker

• Premium Member

Most 35mm cameras won't do single frame without an animation motor attached, unless they're purpose built animation cameras like an Oxberry or Acme. Cameras that don't have a focal-plane shutter - like a Konvas or Arri - also need a capping shutter to prevent light leaking past the mirror shutter and fogging the frame.

Some of the best cameras for stop motion are old pin-registered Mitchells, still used today by some animation/effects companies. One cine re-seller I looked at has a single frame capable Fries Mitchell going for about 3 grand. Your cheapest option is maybe a Bell and Howell Eyemo fitted with an animation motor.

If you're interested in film-originated animation but don't have a huge budget maybe think about a 16mm Bolex. For absolutely consistent exposures you'd want a single frame motor attached, but if you're just experimenting you can use the spring motor and built-in single frame advance.

Funnily enough, I was at a retrospective yesterday of the amazing work of William Kentridge, and noticed he used a 35mm camera to capture his animation:

I'm thinking of shooting animation on 35mm. Anyone know of a 35mm camera that can shoot single-frame? Preferably something portable like Konvas?

Where are you located? LIFT here in Toronto has an Oxberry specifically designed for this.

I'm thinking of shooting animation on 35mm. Anyone know of a 35mm camera that can shoot single-frame? Preferably something portable like Konvas?

The Konvas KSR-1 has an animation crank as an accessory:

http://www.messestadt-tv.com/Tips/Konvas/PIC000091x.jpg

The lower crank is the single frame animation crank. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly