KODAK VISION 500T, 320T

I am shooting a short low budget using Vision 500T, 320T, and 250D stocks. They are all older. I am going to have it converted to black and white. I have a few questions.

Will I need a lot of artificial light if I am shooting with the 500T at night under streetlights? I was thinking about using a couple of Chinese Lanterns.

For shooting indoors at night, I want to replace existing table lamp bulbs with higher wattage incandescents. Will this work? Probably will shoot with the 320T for this.

Since this film is older, should I under/overexpose? should I set my incident light meter for ISO 500 or more or less?

And lastly, the EI chart for the 500T displays f stops for a 170 degree shutter angle. I am shooting with a camera that has a 180 degree shutter angle. Does this mean more or less light? Or can I adjust the shutter angle in camera?

• Premium Member

Will I need a lot of artificial light if I am shooting with the 500T at night under streetlights? I was thinking about using a couple of Chinese Lanterns.

A lot depends on the "look" you want. if you want say folks on a generaly dark steet, you can get away with less light that if you want to feature the street itself.

For shooting indoors at night, I want to replace existing table lamp bulbs with higher wattage incandescents. Will this work? Probably will shoot with the 320T for this.

The light will have the right direction, but you do have to be careful of the heat generated. Normal household fixtures and table lamps often have the largest bulb that they are rated for already installed, so you may want to consult with an experienced Gaffer to be sure you don't start a fire.

Since this film is older, should I under/overexpose? should I set my incident light meter for ISO 500 or more or less?

And lastly, the EI chart for the 500T displays f stops for a 170 degree shutter angle. I am shooting with a camera that has a 180 degree shutter angle. Does this mean more or less light? Or can I adjust the shutter angle in camera?

It is the normal expectation that older film gets less sensitive to light, therefore requiring more exposure.. only a test will really show you how much your stock has drifted.

As far as the shutter angle, a circle has 360 degrees, so a 180 degree shutter is open for half the frame time and the film is advancing for the other half. half of 1/24 of a second is 1/48th. (actual time will vary slightly is there are always a some other factors in edge cases.

SOME cameras do have a variable shutter, although the upper limit is how long it takes the film to move to the next frame. The folks that are supplying your camera should be able to tell you want range of adjustment (if any) the Camera you will be using has.