Nikon R8 - sync sound?

Raffinator

I own a Nikon R8 (a recent purchase) and love the results I am getting. Nice optics for the price. I grew up after the whole super 8 era so I am just discovering this wonderful format. Was

wondering if the R8 is crystal sync: good enough to match up to dialogue. I know the

camera is ridiculously loud, but I figured I would start by asking if it can do sync sound at all.

Thanks,

Raffi Kondy

Nope.

No Super 8 cameras are crystal sync, from the factory.

You can get a mod for it, for around $500 though at The Film Group.

It's pretty stable, as far as Super 8 cameras go (if it's in good shape), but there's going to be some float that you'll have to fix in post for your dialog to lock, that's for sure.

Matt Pacini

Guest Trevor Swaim
Nope.

No Super 8 cameras are crystal sync, from the factory.

You can get a mod for it, for around $500 though at The Film Group.

Matt Pacini

i was under the impression that the beaulieu 6008pro, 7008pro and the 9008 could all be obtained with crystal units from the factory.

• Premium Member

Technically you're both right. You can get it from the factory with a mod, but I think the price is raised around $500.00

Also, I think Beaulieu has been bought out and the service sector is elsewhere. If I'm wrong please correct me.

I own a Nikon R8 (a recent purchase) and love the results I am getting. Nice optics for the price. I grew up after the whole super 8 era so I am just discovering this wonderful format.  Was

wondering if the R8 is crystal sync: good enough to match up to dialogue.  I know the

camera is ridiculously loud, but I figured I would start by asking if it can do sync sound at all.

Thanks,

Raffi Kondy

The Nikon R-8 is not crystal but I have read where a kind of cable sync can be done using the camera's flash sync input.It fires one burst each frame which can be used to record on one channel of audio for later sync resolving.I've never used this,but I haers of it working OK.

Marty

That requires a dedicated analog unit that can read the sync pulse & lock to it, etc.

I don't think most people would consider that a viable option these days, even if you could find one (I saw one on ebay once, made by Super 8 Sound probably 20+ years ago).

Your best bet is either get the camera cyrstal sync mod, or conform your audio in post.

If you do long takes of dialog, this can be a nightmare (trust me, I did a whole feature like this on a Nikon R-10), but if you do short takes, you might be OK.

If you're doing a feature, definitely get the camera crystal'ed.

If you're doing a short, you're probably OK, if you record on a stable audio device, meaning something digital, or some sort of VCR that the audio won't float around on you (as opposed to a cassette deck, which will!).

Matt Pacini

• Premium Member

As long as the audio is recorded with a steady, crystal speed, it shouldn't be that hard to sync up in post. I've synced up takes as long as 2 minutes long on tape. It's as easy as dropping a frame or two between dialogue sentences. I can usually sync up 8-10 minutes worth per hour.