Bolex B8 Problem

Facundo Marguery

Hello,

Im having trouble with my Bolex B8. When i buy it, film was running properly in any frame rate that i can set up on camera. But one day, some how, it starts slowing down and going faster inconstantly, and sometimes also stops running. When I run the camera without film, it runs perfect, but when I charge film the problem starts again.

Any tips?

Sorry about my english (Im Uruguayan).

• Premium Member

Well it could be a few things. If the camera runs well without film I'd discount problems with the spring motor or the speed governor. First thing to check is the take-up friction - the lower spindle needs to slip as it winds on the film. If the clutch gets gummed up it can pull the film too hard and cause problems with the transport, jamming the claw.

If you run the camera without film and hold the lower spindle as it turns it should slip without too much force, and with a steady friction. If it's jerky or stiff the mechanism directly beneath the spindle (under the plate) needs to be disassembled, cleaned and lubricated with grease. It's fairly simple to remove that plate to access the clutch.

Another possibility is that one of the spools is sitting high and rubbing against the door, maybe it's deformed or not located properly. The Bolex pocket cameras are pretty foolproof though, with no locating key on the feed spindle and only one key on the take-up, so mismatching the 3 and 4 key holes on the spools isn't possible. But just check that when you fit the spools they don't poke above the top of the spindles.

A further possibility is that there's an issue in the gate, maybe something gumming up the film channel, the pressure plate pushing too hard against the film or (least likely) some damage to the claw. You can easily remove the pressure plate (just flick back the lever and lift it out) to clean it and check that it's free of burrs and able to move in and out against its spring. You can also then access the gate to clean it too (use cotton buds or toothpicks, nothing metal). For a better look and to see the claw you can remove the block with the lever by undoing the single screw, just take note of how the spring-loaded roller at the top is working, for when you put it back together. You have to remove this block anyway (and the claw) if you want to remove the camera plate to get to the take-up clutch.

Good luck with it Facundo!