Date code on Fuji stock?

Hi all,

Last night at work I came across a small section of cut workprint for what was going to be a television commercial for our cinema. Nobody can remember anything about it and consequently we can't date it.

The workprint is on Agfa stock but carries the MR-Code from the neg. While I'm fully versed on Kodak's various date systems, I can't find anything on Fuji.

This is the section I imagine it's embedded in: "F500 107 091 F72FD5"

Cheers.

• Premium Member

Fuji does not seeem to document the date very well, some of their older print films had a code which listed two digits for the year and two letters for the quater of the year.

Their manual -- http://www.fujifilm.com/products/motion_picture/products/pdf/fujifilm_motion_picture_film_manual.pdf

Shows the heading of "manufacturers code", for the block that corresponds to your "F72FD5" so I would guess that you could try contacting Fuji and asking for the information.

• Premium Member

Thanks Charles. Also interesting to note that Fuji just use a generic "FN" lettercode rather than specifying a different one for each emulsion. I suppose it's email-writing time.

If I read the manual correctly they use FNdd where the two digits are the last two digits in the type number,

Just as a matter of interest here is a picture of the Fuji date code found on colour positive stock. It shows a date of: October - December 1980, the other quarters would be JM, AJ, JS standing for Jan-Mar, Apr-June and July-Sept.

It is worth noting that manufacturers have stopped putting edge print on some stocks, those that are used with digital tracks as the lettering interfere with the SDDS track which is printed on the edge of the film outside the perfs.

Brian

post-10694-0-90626600-1336551747.jpg