Nikon R8 - Film Door Question

Raffinator

I have a recently purchased Nikon R8 that was hardly used and in great shape. However, recently, the black "FOAM CUSHIONING" material that surrounds the window on the film door turned into goo and I carefully removed it and cleaned out the door (using some rubbing alchohol). I am wondering if this might cause a light leak or affect the performance of the camera in any way? I guess putting some camera tape over the window would solve the problem, but I'd rather avoid a quick fix and solve the issue entirely. I will be going to Bryce Canyon in Utah in a week to shoot footage, so I don't have time to send it out and get it repaired before then. Anyone know whether this is a significant part?

Thanks,

Raffi

I have a recently purchased Nikon R8 that was hardly used and in great shape. However, recently, the black "FOAM CUSHIONING" material that surrounds the window on the film door turned into goo and I carefully removed it and cleaned out the door (using some rubbing alchohol).  I am wondering if this might cause a light leak or affect the performance of the camera in any way? I guess putting some camera tape over the window would solve the problem, but I'd rather avoid a quick fix and solve the issue entirely. I will be going to Bryce Canyon in Utah in a week to shoot footage, so I don't have time to send it out and get it repaired before then. Anyone know whether this is a significant part?

Thanks,

Raffi

It *can* be, but in practice, not really. The foam is to prevent any chance of errant light leaks. I just blacked out the window entirely for one shoot before I got it fixed. ($25 fix, and you can do it yourself, mind you)