Exposure Calculating for S8

jaysonwilko

Hi. I posted the following in the super 8 forum but I doubt many people visit that area much so I'm re-posting here in General discussion area. I've got a Eumig Makro Sound 66XL with a shutter angle of 225 degrees. I use a Polaris light meter to find exposure (I am saving money for a proper light meter but this was cheap and accessible to me at the time.) The light meter is designed for stills (uses shutter speed rather than shutter angle) but I want to make sure I am doing my calculations correct. I set my ISO to my film stock. Here is the tricky part, a 225 degree shutter angle works out to 1/40 (rounded up from 38.4). My light meter doesn't show a reading for 1/40 so I take a reading at 1/30 and another at 1/50. The difference is usually about 1/3 to 2/3 of a stop. I set my exposure based on this number and try to favor slightly underexposing to overexposing. Does this sound like a good/accurate process for determining exposure based on my limited equipment? Any input or tips from more experienced film makers is welcome. I am here to learn.

Thanks,

Jayson L. Wilkins