Yellow Blacks

Branden Poe

I purchased a Nikon R8 a few weeks back and recently shot a roll of Ektachrome 100D to test the camera (using only natural light.) I had the roll processed and when I ran it through my projector I found that all of the blacks are yellow. It's not just a slight tint...it's unmistakably yellow, and the deeper the black, the brighter the yellow. I know it's not the projector because other rolls project fine. Any insight for a new super-8 shooter?

I purchased a Nikon R8 a few weeks back and recently shot a roll of Ektachrome 100D to test the camera (using only natural light.) I had the roll processed and when I ran it through my projector I found that all of the blacks are yellow. It's not just a slight tint...it's unmistakably yellow, and the deeper the black, the brighter the yellow. I know it's not the projector because other rolls project fine. Any insight for a new super-8 shooter?

There's no obvious explanation for the symptoms you describe I am afraid. The only thing that could go wrong with the camera is the internal 85 (orange) daylight to tungsten filter was not automatically de-activated (which it would have been). But I would not describe this effect at affecting the blacks and making them yellow. Who processed the film? Have you asked them yet?

cheers,

richard