Using Kodak Vision for photography

Paul Bartok

Hey guys, Iv'e got about 2000ft of Vision 3 at home and since im a film photographer as well I was thinking I might just use it for photography.

If my maths right that's 470 rolls, around 16941 frames, whats a bargain considering I payed only $200 for the film.

I know you can cross process but how hard would it be to source the equipment and to develop it properly, is it worth the trouble, any tuts?

• Premium Member

Paul, you might be running into trouble to find a lab where one accepts snippets of that film in 5-ft. length now and then. Not to process it properly is like bathing a C-41 still film in the wrong soups. You wish to have nice colours, don’t you? Stick with stills film for stills. Movie labs take 100-ft. portions as the shortest length, and that’s what you will have to pay for even with shorter pieces.

I dunno... I know a photographer up here who shoots with either Vision or Fuji. I can't remember what he gets. But he has an adapter on one of his camera that he can load in 100' and it just acts like a regular roll of still film.

I'll see if I can get his stock and where he has it processed, but I know he used to use Richards Photo Lab in the past, so there's gotta be a way to do it.

Thanks guys, Travis if you can find out that would be great please, I have a Mamiya RB67 Pro-s with a bulk magazine so It could shoot around 200ft of 65mm looks like a mini IMAX camera haha, I think I might just experiment with a few rolls use it for artsy stuff not for professional work.

Now, that sounds interesting, but where are these people? I am not able to find out, most probably due to my advanced age and coming from BC (before computers).

haha I like the BC thing. I believe there in the US

• 2 weeks later...

Any processing you undertake with the film needs to account for the Remjet layer on the base - which is a quick way to ruin any machine process that's not expecting it, which includes all C-41 labs - and also that the ECN-2 process the film expects uses a different colour developer to the C-41 process.

Unless you can find a lab or friend to do ECN-2 in short lengths, you're better off keeping it all for use as short ends or selling it as short ends.