Arri S super 16 conversion

Marty Hamrick

I have a friend who has an Arri S that in the past I've used for some projects.He is looking to sell it along with all of his 16mm gear.He has alot of old stuff like I used to until I got tired of hauling it everywhere I moved.He has the Arri S,a couple of Auricons a Nagra 3 with a Kudelski unit and some mag film recorders and a Steenbeck.He doesn't seem to be in a hurry to sell it and I'm thinking of trying to talk him into holding on to at least the Arri S and maybe converting it to super 16.Does anyone know of a place that can convert an Arri S and is it worth it.I mean for the cost of converting the Arri,could I buy an Eclair or an Aaton LTR already converted?I get about 3 calls a year for 16mm.I could probably get more if I went out and hustled,but right now I have all the video and stills work I can handle that keeps the roof over my head.

Marty

Duall Camera in NYC does a Super16 conversion for the Arri S

http://www.duallcamera.com/services/index.shtml

You'll have to call them and ask about the price...

Now if you shoot alot of MOS film stuff like music videos

Converting your Arri S to S16 might be a good idea

But if you need a synch sound camera...I'd save the money & sell the camera

& go just for an Eclair ACL or Arri SR or Aaton

Eitherways an Arri S converted to S16 is still a very useful camera

If you do convert also try to get a PL mount on it so you can use newer lenses.

Now if you shoot alot of MOS film stuff like music videos

Converting your Arri S to S16 might be a good idea

Although music videos can be shot MOS, you still need a crystal controlled camera if you want the band to be able to lip sync. The motor in the Arri S is not crystal controlled, so you will need to invest in that as WELL as having the S16 conversion done, and a PL mount hard front that re-centers the lenses to S16. At this point, you are looking at many thousands of dollars. I wouldn't waste my money.

For the money you would spend, you could rent an Arri SR series camera and do it the right way. Or, you could buy a Canon Scoopic on eBay for about $500-1000 and have it modified to run crystal sync for $500.

You could buy a Canon Scoopic on eBay for about $500-1000 and have it modified to run crystal sync for $500.

But you still wouldn't have a S16mm camera

You can just buy a TCS crystal sync motor for $900 for the Arri S

Or probably find it cheaper on Ebay.

http://www.tobincinemasystems.com/page5.html

An Arri S is a way better camera than the Canon Scoopic.

Although I know someone will argue this statement. <_<

But you still wouldn't have a S16mm camera

You can just buy a TCS crystal sync motor for $900 for the Arri S

Or probably find it cheaper on Ebay.

http://www.tobincinemasystems.com/page5.html

Although I know someone will argue this statement.  <_<

Thank you folks.It's just that I have free access to this camera and I'm trying to save it from the auction block.I've always loved the Arri S for MOS work.

Marty

I don't know about that. The Scoopic 16M has a built-in zoom, T2.5, with macro -- plus an on-board battery and a motor that will shoot up to 64fps (plus single-frame shooting). AND, it has a built-in light meter. The 16MS can even be adapted to use CP16 style 400ft. magazines.

Plus all of this can be had for $500. That's how much I paid for my Scoopic 16M on eBay.

Guest Robert Skates

I was unaware of a S16 conversion for the canon scoopic. It seems that recentering the fixed lens on that camera would be difficult. In my opinion the Arri-S is a far better camera. I have owned both. The arri has better registration, 400' magazine,accepts all arri standard mount lenses. The scoopic is not nearly as solid in build as the arri. I got my arri-s and lenses for well under a $1,000.00 US. You can add on to the arri as you need. The scoopic is a fine camera, limited though it is.

As far as the S16 conversion goes, a PL mount is not really needed. ( I am not sure a PL mount can be fitted to the arri-S. The mirror housing may not allow for it. I am not a camera tech so I could be wrong.) An arri standard mount lens that covers 35mm will more than cover S16. These lenses are numerous and easy to find. Remember that the arri IIC, and early 35BL accepted standard mount lenses, same as the arri-S. I have a set of Cooke speed panchro primes for my arri. I chose them because they were designed for 35mm and would be fine if ever I has the camera converted to S16. Just my opinions. My opinions and a $1.80 will get you a decent cup of coffee and that's about all.

I was unaware of a S16 conversion for the canon scoopic.

No, there is no conversion that I know of. I hope I didn't give off that impression, because I didn't mean to. :)

The arri has better registration

I don't agree. The Scoopic was designed to run up to 64fps. I have done tests and the registration is rock solid.

You can add on to the arri as you need.

Absolutely right -- but at a cost. I was looking at buying either an Arri S or a Scoopic, and I chose the Scoopic because of what was already built into the camera.

As far as the S16 conversion goes, a PL mount is not really needed. ( I am not sure a PL mount can be fitted to the arri-S. The mirror housing may not allow for it. I am not a camera tech so I could be wrong.)

Here is a pic of one such conversion:

arri_st_pl_mount.jpg

An arri standard mount lens that covers 35mm will more than cover S16.

Yes, but if you are using a zoom lens it will not be centered to S16.

The arri has better registration

I now recall the 16S having a registration pin -- so yes Robert, it probably has better registration than the Scoopic at the same frame rate. Are there any motors available that run the Arri at high speed so you can take full advantage of that pin?

Guest Robert Skates

Thomas,

Bravo to the techs that did the PL mount conversion to the arri. The Pl mount conversion for the IIC requires some milling of the mirror housing. The arri-s Pl conversion seems to require a good bit more. I have not talked to the fine folks at duall concerning their S16 conversion to the Arri. As long as they recenter the turret in some fashion a zoom should track to center of the S16 just fine.

As far as the running speed of the arri-S, the tach reads 50fps as the top rate. Some say that if you double the voltage of the battery from 8v to 16v you can get a higher frame rate. I'm not so sure of this and I am none to interested in trying. I think the scoopic has the advantage in frame rate. I will admit that the scoopic M with the CP/mitchell mag adapter is really nifty. I would love to have a mint kit.

Who did that S16 / PL mount conversion pictured above ?

I've always thought it would be crazy to convert my S, but hmm I'm curious anyway.

They can certainly run faster than 50 - I've seen one or two with an 80 fps tach.

But as to is it a good idea, I'm not sure. I don't know about 16v on the vs motor, 12 you can do.

-Sam