Prism fault?

Mike Brennan

I'm interested in anyone who has had unusually soft pictures with lens wide open and suspected an optical fault in the camera, ie the IR filter, filter wheel or prism itself.

In a recent test at the wide end stopping down to T4 corrected the softness.

The same lens on another camera was OK, different lens on same camera was also soft.

So it appears to be a camera fault. Monitoring was not ideal so I can't be certain.

Yes I know many lenses are sharper stopped down, this case was well beyond that.

Camera was a f950.

Suggestions?

Mike Brennan

Sounds more like a back-focus problem if stopping down helped.

Yes it could be backfocus mechanism that is unable to deliver a sharp picture, but I don't think that it is the mechanism itself that is at fault as it was ok on two other HD cameras (a viper and a iki)

Adjusting backfocus to produce sharpest image resulted in a rather soft image so I'm looking at optical assembly (ir filterwheel or prism) or mechanical (mis) fitting as culprit.

It could be a dodgey intermittent backfocus problem that as cirumstances had it was ok on the two other cameras but not on the Sony!

Mike Brennan

• Premium Member

Did the camera take any damage lately, the lens mount could have taken some damage and could be angled a bit. We have a 900 in for a similiar problem, the image is very soft on one side of the picture, and when it is stopped down it gets a little better. My guess is that the camera took a hit and tweaked the lens mount or the front panel assembly.

• Premium Member
I don't think that it is the mechanism itself that is at fault as it was ok on two other HD cameras (a viper and a iki)

Back focus is the distance from the lens to the image plane. It can go wrong due to either the lens or the body - or both. Clairmont re-built their 900's to give them a more bullet proof back focus.

-- J.S.