Possibly silly question about shipping film stock

Hey All,

I'm going to be shooting some film in Oregon late next week, and I was pondering the potential headaches of having to cart the film around and have it inspected at each stop along the way...oy.

Then I thought perhaps I could have it shipped to where I'm staying, but I'm renting a condo type spot from an individual, and I'm wary of causing complications...what with strange packages showing up and all...

So it occurred to me, can I just arrange to have the film I order from Kodak shipped to the area post office, and designate that they hold it at location for pick up when I arrive in town? Or is that what post office boxes are for?

Any ideas what I can do. Sorry if was an obvious or simple question, but I've never dealt with this situation before, so any advice for those who have dealt with this would be very appreciated!

Best,

BR

• Premium Member

Then I thought perhaps I could have it shipped to where I'm staying, but I'm renting a condo type spot from an individual, and I'm wary of causing complications...what with strange packages showing up and all...

Any ideas what I can do. Sorry if was an obvious or simple question, but I've never dealt with this situation before, so any advice for those who have dealt with this would be very appreciated!

My first thought is that some folks here in Canada use a US based UPS store near the border as a shipping location when they buy items that are expensive to ship out of the US. They just drive over the bridge and bring them through customs themselves.

Extending that idea, there are often "Office service" folks that will do shipping and receiving and other services like fax or short term office rentals. sometimes they call them business condos or flex offices.

Making arrangements with such a firm, they could receive your shippings and hold them for you.

Hotels also have been offer to hold shipments for their guests.

If you're flying you can have TSA hand inspect your film rather than x-ray it, just ask them when you get to the metal detector. Have your film out and ready for them. They will swab the can and run it through and explosives sniffer. I have done that traveling through several customs checks both domestic and international. On a recent trip I noticed that customs in Japan still have a warning sign about running film through the x-ray. After you shoot your film mail it to the lab or have it hand inspected on the way back.

The only problem is that Kodak ships UPS. UPS won't ship to the post office, but if there's a UPS customer center nearby (not a "The UPS Store"), you can ask Kodak to send it hold for pickup. This is the equivalent of the post office's general delivery service, where they will hold it at the PO until it's picked up. You will need a gov't ID to pick up your package.