Cannon PowerShot G6

Andre Lim

I've been recently searching the market for a dslr type camera w/o the price. The closest I can think of getting one that's good for it's price range is the powershot g6. I was wondering if anyone has shot or owns this camera and what are your opinions on it?

powershot g6

This site gives a great in-depth review on it but I would also like to know from DPs that have worked with these to get shots on set, point and shoot (beautiful shots handheld spur of the moment), and professional shots (manual + sticks).

How is the quality of jpeg images transfered to the computer?

Manual Focus

Manual White Balance

Manual Shutter Speeds

Manual ISO

Manual F-stops

Are these easy to control on this camera, meaning do i have to go back and forth through the menus to get to all thse?

The start up time and start to shoot I heard was not that great and it's one of the heavier cameras for the price range. So point and shoot on the fly might seem to be a bit tough.

For pro shots it seems very nice and a 5 1/2 hour battery life, it much more than I could ask for.

So I would like to know anyone opinions on who ever has shot or owned this camera before.

P.S. This is a big step up from the 3.1 MP Nikon camera I've played around with. I'm taking heavy interest in to fine tuned shots hoping to get a vice telephoto lens for less depth of field. This is why I want to make sure I'm getting the best camera out there for the money I can spend, which is at $500 just for the camera.

P.S.S. What sticks do you guys recommend? For a price range of about $50-$100

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Very impressive camera. Not too much noise either. Apparently people have had problems with the lens cap though.

Although if I were you I'd wait, save up and put in the extra money and get a Canon 300D. Atleast you then have the interchangable lens system.

Yes, that was another big factor in choosing a camera because I do want interchangable lenses. The G6 does come w/ a W/T lens adapter I believe or you can buy one for it. The lenses I saw for it costs around $200~.

I just saw the reviews on the 300D and it looks pretty nice from what I can see right now thanks for the input I'll definately keep that in mind.

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
The G6 does come w/ a W/T lens adapter I believe or you can buy one for it.  The lenses I saw for it costs around $200~. 

Yeh it has the add-ons, although beware that optical quality is lost when using them. You?re shooting through one lens into another. (I mean the quality isn't lost dramatically or anything, but it's not as good as using just one lens)

I just saw the reviews on the 300D and it looks pretty nice from what I can see right now thanks for the input I'll definitely keep that in mind.

From my experience in using the 300D the image quality is fantastic. 5 stars all the way. Although the only thing I didn't like about it was the build quality. When you pick it up you can automatically feel that it's almost a hollow bit of plastic that would probably smash apart if dropped.

Personally, if I was to choose anything over the 300D it would be the Nikon D70. Although, it's more expensive. Image quality is pretty much the same though. Just the build quality in which the Nikon wins.

But hey as long as you don't start throwing it around it will be fine.

But don?t be put off the G6, if you are happy with using adapter?s e.t.c. then its fine. Great camera. I reccomend it over any other camera of it's own specification and price.

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Take a look at the Panasonic FZ-20 as well. Similar price as the G6, but more flexible I've found in comparison. Also, the image quality is par-none for the fixed-lens cameras. The 300D beats it, of course, but the G6 has a tough time going against it at the price range.

I have a Canon G2, and I've been really happy with it.

Much better quality images than I thought was possible with it.

I will admit though, I've become somewhat irritated with using a fixed lens camera, so I'm soon going to be upgrading to a 20D, but it's MUCH more money.

Great glass on the Canon's though, and there are lots of point-&-shoot functions that you'll be happy with, to be able to just grab quick pictures on the fly.

I'm selling my telephoto adapter though. I thought hte same thing you did about this extending the usefulness of the lens, but it takes so long to put them on, take them off, that I hardly ever use it.

Matt Pacini