Bad Processing

I often hear the phrase "such and such is a good lab".

I understand that this statement can refer to other things like turnaround time, general treatment, price, etc. But I have heard certain DP's imply that the processing is better or worse at various labs. I also remember the stories of Woody Allen and Gordon WIllis shopping around labs to find the best processing for B+W for Manhattan.

Now, I usually go to what I would consider legitimate labs; Technicolor, Alphacine, FotoKem, etc. so I'd imagine that I haven't experienced "bad processing". That being said, I would love to know what exactly it means to get bad processing and how I could tell? Can the effect be subtle?

Thanks,

Evan

• Premium Member

"Bad Processing" could be anything from Dirt on the film to scratches, streaks, or even missing wash or stabilization steps that will result in shorter image life.

It could also include off colour, or too high or Low contrast.

Ideally the processing stage should be as close to "perfect" as is humanly possible (except when effects such as Bleach bypass are desired)

A Good Lab will run frequent tests to ensure that customer film is well processed. There are statistical procedures to ensure that the process stays 'In Control". The rep at the lab should be able to describe what steps they take to ensure good results.

Edited by Charles MacDonald