online editing

Guest Altona

Guest Altona

This is wat I want to do: Shoot on 16mm.negative transfered via telecine to digital.Edit online.

Because I want that filmlook. What would be the best medium to transfere to?

I want to keep the editing simple (budget is small)

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

• Premium Member
This is wat I want to do: Shoot on 16mm.negative transfered via telecine to digital.Edit online.

Because I want that filmlook. What would be the best medium to transfere to?

I want to keep the editing simple (budget is small)

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

It depends how much material you have and what equipment you have available to you.

A standard route if you have a good deal of footage would be to have your lab do an inexpensive "one light" telecine transfer of all of your rushes to an inexpensive format such as Beta SP, DV etc. The quality of the image is not important at this stage because you just need your stuff to cut with.

When you have completed your cut, return to telecine with your edit list (from your offline session) and grade and transfer your selected takes to digi-beta. Then conform your edit list from this tape in a suitable online suite.

This way, all the expensive stuff is kept to a minimum because you only use the expensive stuff for the takes you actually use. If you were waning to return to film at the end, then in the latter stages use a HD telecine and transfer to HD-D5.

Thats a good balance between quality and efficiency for most applications.