Scoopic MS Blimp?

Tom Ballard

Has anyone here successfully blimped a Scoopic MS? I recall someone selling an MS several months ago on ebay with the 400 foot mags. If memory serves me accurately, it was blimped. I'm wondering if the blimp enabled this user (or any other) to shoot MS.

Also, any direction to where a blimp can be found/made and recommended would be appreciated. My MS does not and will not have the 400' mags.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Not sure if there was one made stock, but I've never seen one.

There are a couple companies that custom make barnys, or you could make your own.

I started making one for my Scoopic M, but then got my CP-16R/A, which is really quiet, so I just shoot MOS stuff with my Scoopic.

It would be nice to have a quiet one, though!

Matt Pacini

Not sure if there was one made stock, but I've never seen one.

There are a couple companies that custom make barnys, or you could make your own.

I started making one for my Scoopic M, but then got my CP-16R/A, which is really quiet, so I just shoot MOS stuff with my Scoopic.

It would be nice to have a quiet one, though!

Matt Pacini

One of the fellows at filmshooting.com directed me to the material found here:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=260-535

I'm going to create a pattern and weave together two layers of this material and see how it works. I'll post the results here. I know a lot of people don't like the Scoopics, but I've had very good luck with them.

Tom

The Canon Scoopic is a very cool camera. It is such a compact design that really feels like a giant super8. Loads super quickly and the lens is surprisingly sharp - at least on my M model.

Never seen a blimp but have used leather jackets as barneys.

I like my Scoopic M too.

Pretty sharp glass above f4 or so. I really think the bad rap it gets is mostly from the original grey Scoopic, which is said to have an infelior lens, compared to the 12.5-75 that the M and MS has, but I've never actually shot with the original one, so I can't verify that.

Fun to shoot with though, even though my auto-exposure system doesn't work :(

As far making your own sound barney, that dampening material looks nice, but remember that no one material blocks all frequencies.

That would be good for high freq., but there's quite a bit of midrange noise coming off a Scoopic.

The lower the freq. you're trying to block, the denser the material needs to be.

Low frequencies go right though soft materials. That's why you can hear loud bass go right through walls & stuff.

Before I abandoned my Scoopic barney project, I was using several layers of material: foam (similar to the one in your link above), vinyl outside, plush material inside, as well as one layer of thin sheet metal, coated on both sides with liquid latex brushed on (for the low-mid frequencies), and a thin layer of indoor-outdoor carpet (with the rubber backing).

The other super-imprtant thing to remember about sound control is air-tightness:

Any open areas at all will leak a significant amount of sound.

I believe the formula is 14% perforation = 85% sound leak.

You can verify this effect with your car in noisy traffic. Roll your window down about 2 inches, and you'll find that it lets in probably about 1/2 the sound as when the window is all the way down.

It's not a linear relationship to how much of your camera is exposed, to how much sound is getting out. This is magnified even more, by the fact that the front of your lens is "kinda" acting like a speaker, projecting the noise forward.

My barney plan was to have a large UV filter, attached to a sleeve (made out of the same material as the rest of the barney) that I could slide over the lens when shooting, & pull off to adjust the lens.

Matt Pacini

I like my Scoopic M too.

Pretty sharp glass above f4 or so.  I really think the bad rap it gets is mostly from the original grey Scoopic, which is said to have an infelior lens, compared to the 12.5-75 that the M and MS has, but I've never actually shot with the original one, so I can't verify that.

Fun to shoot with though, even though my auto-exposure system doesn't work  :(

As far making your own sound barney, that dampening material looks nice, but remember that no one material blocks all frequencies.

That would be good for high freq., but there's quite a bit of midrange noise coming off a Scoopic.

The lower the freq. you're trying to block, the denser the material needs to be.

Low frequencies go right though soft materials. That's why you can hear loud bass go right through walls & stuff.

Before I abandoned my Scoopic barney project, I was using several layers of material: foam (similar to the one in your link above), vinyl outside, plush material inside, as well as one layer of thin sheet metal, coated on both sides with liquid latex brushed on (for the low-mid frequencies), and a thin layer of indoor-outdoor carpet (with the rubber backing).

The other super-imprtant thing to remember about sound control is air-tightness:

Any open areas at all will leak a significant amount of sound.

I believe the formula is 14% perforation = 85% sound leak.

You can verify this effect with your car in noisy traffic. Roll your window down about 2 inches, and you'll find that it lets in probably about 1/2 the sound as when the window is all the way down.

It's not a linear relationship to how much of your camera is exposed, to how much sound is getting out.  This is magnified even more, by the fact that the front of your lens is "kinda" acting like a speaker, projecting the noise forward.

My barney plan was to have a large UV filter, attached to a sleeve (made out of the same material as the rest of the barney) that I could slide over the lens when shooting, & pull off to adjust the lens.

Matt Pacini

Matt-

You brought up some very good issues. I hadn't given any consideration to the different sound frequencies. I'm sure it'll take some experimenting, but I'm going to try to quieten this camera a little. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you. Tom