focusing the canon 518

heidi murphy

I am a still film photographer and new to cinematography. I have an adoration of super 8 and purchased a canon 518 to start playing with this medium. I am having such difficulty focusing this camera even when zoomed in and curious if anybody has any helpful tips to help me through this learning curve. many thanks in advance...

I am a still film photographer and new to cinematography. I have an adoration of super 8 and purchased a canon 518 to start playing with this medium. I am having such difficulty focusing this camera even when zoomed in and curious if anybody has any helpful tips to help me through this learning curve. many thanks in advance...

Have you tried adjusting the diopter ring or something? Otherwise I don't understand how it's out of focus

No matter what, it's going to be tricky. The viewfinder on that camera isn't great, so focusing by eye, especially on the tele and or wide open end of the lens takes some skill and practice. The most reliable way I've found to stay in focus with the 518 is to try get at least a little stopped down and zone focus by judging distance and trusting the witness marks on the lens barrel (my camera's marks are still pretty accurate)

No matter what, it's going to be tricky. The viewfinder on that camera isn't great, so focusing by eye, especially on the tele and or wide open end of the lens takes some skill and practice. The most reliable way I've found to stay in focus with the 518 is to try get at least a little stopped down and zone focus by judging distance and trusting the witness marks on the lens barrel (my camera's marks are still pretty accurate)

thank you...I had thought of doing that and now that I hear that you're having success with it, I will try it.

Have you tried adjusting the diopter ring or something? Otherwise I don't understand how it's out of focus

I did check the diopter and don't have any vision...and I just find it hard to really "see" that it's in focus...so maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it...it's just so darn dark!

I did check the diopter and don't have any vision...and I just find it hard to really "see" that it's in focus...so maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it...it's just so darn dark!

Setting the eyepiece diopter is the critical thing you need to do. Read my instructions on doing this here: