Bell & Howell

Matt Wells

Anyone know if the old 16mm Bell & Howell Filmo cameras (like the 70 model) require double perf. film?

If so can they be modified to accept single perf?

Also, anyone know what the lens mount is on the turret?

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by Matt Wells

the filmo is the pretty much the funnest (most fun?) camera ever. But remember to oil that pup- I was shooting handheld aerials out of a cessna's open window once and the camera started screeching louder than the airplane, it scared the pilot!

The reason I am asking is that I was skiing last week and using a friends 8mm filmo to shoot "on the move" shots.

I was thinking - this is a superb little camera - a 16mm one would be even better!! - doesnt even matter that much if you wipe out and get snow on it or something!

Matt

Filmos are great! I've got 3 that I use. They are great as crash cams. One of mine is set aside for heavy abuse-bolted to skateboards and sent down steep hills, used in kooky bungee cord applications,etc.

These were the 16mm combat cameras of the US army and were made to take a beating. They can be had for so cheap that all psychological (and financial) barriers that stop you from risking even a Bolex just go away.

Plus they are so small and non-intimidating that you can basically take one anywhere.

Great fun!

I agree with Dan 100%. I've got 3 Filmos also, and maintain them myself. I don't drive mine off of cliffs, but they get their use. One of 'em probably sloshed thru the rice paddys in Vietnam. Be sure that the shutter mechanism has been oiled or greased recently; I've had 2 cameras that chattered until lubed; one was very dry, the other was very cold.

The 70-DA (the later one), -DL and -DR models accept 100' magazines and are very comfortable to handhold. The -HL, -HR and -KRM models also accept 400' magazines and electric motors. All these have single perf sprockets. Avoid the really ancient 70A, circa 1929, and the old, black -DA model, because they use double perf sprockets and the 70A has a speed governor mechanism in the shutter assembly and don't work like the newer ones.

If you get a hankering to shoot 35mm, buy an Eyemo, the Filmo's big brother; same layout, takes 100' daylight spools. Big, powerful windup spring; eat your Wheaties before shooting. No C mount lenses though; you're stuck with Eyemo mount lenses unless it's been converted to Nikon or PL mount.

If you need a really portable, inexpensive 16mm camera and can get dual perf stock, I recommend the B&H 200 magazine camera (wind up mechanism) and the GSAP gun camera (24v electrical) also.