Recommendation for setup? Shooting inside car

josh finklea

Hello everyone, I'm new here and would greatly appreciate any advice you might be able to share.

I am 24, and have been shooting super 8 off and on since I was about 16, just for fun though. I have a Canon Autozoom 518, and a Nizo S80.

Recently I took on a project to shoot a music video on Super 8, and one of the main shots will be from inside a car filming someone driving. This would either be shot from behind the driver over the shoulder in the back seat, and/or from the front passenger seat.

The problem is, the Canon 518 has a 9.5mm lens, and the Nizo a 10mm lens, and it is not nearly wide enough...

I also was planning on shooting 90% of the video on the 54 fps setting to gain that nice but subtle slow motion.

Basically, I have maybe 200-300 dollars I can spend (maybe a little bit more?) for a new camera, and possibly a wide angle lens if needed. I've noticed that some of the nicer Super 8 cameras have 6mm and 6.5mm lenses, and since I've never used either, would anyone be able to share whether this is noticeably wider than a 10mm Nizo, or am I pretty much going to have to find a camera with a macro setting, and get a wide-angle lens? Also, I would rather not get a super wide angled lens that is leaning towards the distorted fish-eye look, so if I took the macro camera direction, can I pretty much use any wide-angle, or is it best to get the UWL or the Canon C-8 meant for certain Super 8 cameras?

Hopefully that wasn't too many questions, haha. Thanks so much in advanced for the help!!!

Josh

• Premium Member

Hey Josh, the average Super-8mm camera has around a 7.5 to 8mm wide angle. 10mm is definitely limiting. Once you get to 7mm and lower, you will notice a difference. 6 mm and 6.5mm is noticeably different from a 10mm, your probably getting twice the viewing area. Another way to go is to find a camera with a macro setting on it and then find an wide angle attachment of the same thread size.

However you won't be able to zoom once you put on the wide angle attachment and focus on it. Eumig made an attachment that converted a 7mm lens to 4mm, which resulted in almost three times the viewing area.

Hi Josh,

I have always been using a "SONY Wide Conversion Lens X0.7" on my Nizo 561 (has a 7-56mm 1:1.8 Variogon hard mounted) with the help of a 49-52mm step-up adapter ring.

It makes a fine 5mm lens. You could probably get a similar camera and even the converter and adapter on eBay for just half of your 2-300$ budget...

Cheers, Phil

post-11909-0-36349000-1343842429.jpg

Edited by Phil Soheili