Recording sound for performance festival

I am planning on making a documentary for a performance art event and am trying to work out the best way to capture the sound.

The event is live and open to the public so there will be a fair amount of atmospheric sound. There will be about fifteen different performances in a wide-range of disciplines - video artists, dancers, sound artists etc. Most of the artists will be performing in the same area but others will use different parts of the venue and a few will be in completely different spaces.

We are planning on having an 'A-Roll' camera fixed the whole time and two roaming cameras.

Is there an easy solution where we can capture a good quality recording of the sound of the performances which I can then sync with the images? Previously we have just used the sound from the cameras but as you could probably guess it came out very choppy and inconsistent once we started editing.

I am hoping to find a cheap make-shift solution as we have 0 budget and cannot afford to buy any expensive sound equipment and software.

Many thanks for any advise!