Canon C300 with Canon L lenses vs. 5D Mark 3 with Zeiss primes

Trent Watts

I've got a gig coming up where I have a budget to rent some equipment. I'm going to use one of the combinations above. I already own the Canon L lenses. The final video will be displayed in a movie theater. The final resolution will be 1920 x 1080. But I am wondering basically about the 4k sensor with l lenses vs a full frame sensor with a set of zeiss prime lenses. the video will be in black and white, so what do you all think will give me the sharpest image, beautiful boca, and the most dynamic range?

• Premium Member

Dynamic range is independent of lens choice, unless you want to start taking into account variances in flare and veiling which might appear to extend effective range a little by flashing the image.

Bear in mind it may be a sensor that's 4000 photosites wide, but it isn't a 4K output.

What camera would you be using which has a "full frame sensor" and Zeiss primes?

Dynamic range is independent of lens choice, unless you want to start taking into account variances in flare and veiling which might appear to extend effective range a little by flashing the image.

Bear in mind it may be a sensor that's 4000 photosites wide, but it isn't a 4K output.

What camera would you be using which has a "full frame sensor" and Zeiss primes?

I'd be using the 5D Mark 3. Another thing I'm worried about with the C300 is ease of use with my Zacuto Shoulder Mount and Glidetrack 30" SD

• Premium Member

Well, the 5D mark 3 and the C300 are wildly different things, at totally different price points. I haven't closely investigated the imaging performance of the 5D3, but if the codec is of similar performance to that in the 5D2, that'll kill your sharpness long before the lenses become a factor even if the sensor is free of aliasing.

I haven't shot tests and therefore you should, but I would expect the C300 to outresolve the 5D3 comfortably.

P