Getting Started

Guest Nick Weigel

Guest Nick Weigel

Well first of all, I feel as if I am very good with a camera. The thing is, if becoming a cinematographer is what I want to do, and I'll be going to college in a year should I purchase my own semi-profession DV camera? Or should I just take some cinematography classes, and start doing grunt work in Hollywood, like getting coffee, then just build my way up from there? Or should I buy my own camera and try to create my own movies as experience instead?

Edited by Nick Weigel

Guest Ian Marks

I'm sure you'll get lots of thought-provoking answers, Nick. For my 2 cents, if you're thinking about buying your own camera, don't overlook FILM cameras. Pick up a cheap, used 35mm single lens reflex still camera and a few lenses and learn everything you can about the basics: depth of field, lighting, metering, the way lenses of different focal lengths render perspective differently, characteristic curves, contrast ratios, etc. Then you can buy an archaic, basic 16mm camera like a Bell and Howell Filmo, and shoot a few non-dialogue, non-sync-sound shorts, putting all you've learned into practice.

Those "semi-professional" DV cameras are great, but they offer so much automation that they don't really teach you about cinematography, although in the hands of a skilled operator (someone who understands how, when and why to override all that automation), they can produce impressive results.

As I said, just my 2 cents...

• Premium Member

Absolutely start doing grunt work and meeting people. The relationships you build up doing that are far more valuable than any camera you could buy.

Shooting stills on film and motion on video are worth doing as a learning experience, but don't bust your bank account on equipment. Figure that for a long time anything you shoot for money will be on rented equipment. Eventually if you want to do stock shots, inserts, and a little second unit, maybe you might buy a professional camera. But that decision will clarify itself over time.

-- J.S.

Guest Nick Weigel

Thanks for the help guys, I do have a SLR by the way. I shoot lots of black and white photos, and I'll be taking Art Photo III next year

Well first of all, I feel as if I am very good with a camera. The thing is, if becoming a cinematographer is what I want to do, and I'll be going to college in a year should I purchase my own semi-profession DV camera? Or should I just take some cinematography classes, and start doing grunt work in Hollywood, like getting coffee, then just build my way up from there? Or should I buy my own camera and try to create my own movies as experience instead?

Well why don't you do all of those.

Study cinematography in school...

Do some grunt work in the industry...

& get a camera to shoot some stuff.

These will all help you get where you need to get.

In school you'll learn the basic concepts of cinematography

Out in the industry you'll see how people put things to use

As well as get a notion for how the business works

& meet people involved in the industry who can help you later on...

And with a camera you can practice on your own and build a reel

None become cinematographers by just doing grunt work and going to filmschool

You'll need to practice practice practice and shoot your ass off.

If you do all three with an added emphasis on shooting

In a few years you'll have some skill as a cinematographer

Enough to shoot student films and low budget productions.

Good Luck

Well at least you know what you like. The question is, are you prepared to really throw yourself into it and lose sleep, time, and money (and the friends who don't understand why all you talk about is film)? If the answer is yes, I agree with Rik. If it matters to you that much, hell, do it all! Never pass up an opportunity to learn!

Or you can be like me and start with the gear by working at your school's equipment checkout, convince the head of the film department to let you audit a cinematography class and a lighting class, throw down for a camera and make plans to overhaul it yourself, shoot on the weekends, and learn to function on 6 hours of sleep a night. But that's neither here nor there. :P

Ian made an interesting point about video cameras. I have to say that part of me agrees with him...I never thought of it that way but it's worth considering. I mean, technology will change and in 10 years the DVX-100 will be obsolete (although that doesn't stop me from getting one..) but 16mm will still be around. There are advantages and disadvantages to each option, it's just a matter of weighing them out.

I can't attribute this advice to any one particular person because I've heard it many times, but I was told that there is no right or wrong way or time to "break in" to the industry; you just have to get in there and do it. Don't let it bite you, don't be afraid to ask questions, and be ready to learn from your mistakes. Find people who are already doing what you want to do and pick their brains relentlessly. If you make it clear that you are willing to learn and will do anything to get there, people will help show you the way.

• Premium Member

Greetings,

Everyone here brings up a good point. For my two cents, I can't relay enough how helpful owning my own dv camera was when I was in school. I shot probably twenty times more stuff than my classmates and made an effort to challenge myself with each project.

Good luck, and a willingness to do what others will not and humble attitude helps the most,

AT

Cinematography is an Art, and passion is the Key.

Hey,

I?m 16 years old from India and yes, india is coming really close to Hollywood these days and sure one day will overtake it. I been interested in Film-making and mainly Cinematography since i was 14. I've taken alot of pictures but do not use Film camera. I normally stick to Digital since its basically changing the world right now.

I've seen alot of movies been filmed and i have touched a 35mm wide screen camera when it was rolling. Amazing!!

I don?t know so much about Cinematography yet, but well, could you tell me what all does Cinematography actually have. I know it Consists of Lighting and Camera Angels, what else?

Are there any long courses in Cinematography which will teach me everything. EVERYTHING !

Thanks,

Anmol Karnik.