camera overhauls

Annie Wengenroth

I am curious about the specifics of how cameras are overhauled. When they re-paint a camera, what kind of paint is used? What are some other things that are done to get it looking and functioning like new again? Don't know if anyone here would know about this, just thought I'd give it a shot.

I have a very old Arriflex S, serial #115. I was just speculating as to which cleaning and restoration tasks I could accomplish myself versus what someone else would have to do. I actually cleaned the hell out of it today and did a pretty decent job but then I started wondering what could be re-built or painted and how that would be done. It's something I'd like to perhaps get into myself someday and learn more about because I like taking things apart and fixing them.

I've wondered about this myself.

I've had an itch for a while to go through my Canon Scoopic, because it's pretty noisy, and it does something weird:

When I put it in auto-run, (the lock on the release) it makes this wacky rattling noise, really disturbing, and it can't be normal!

I'm wondering if I just went through it and cleaned it with some Naptha & lubed it, if I would be likely to do much harm.

Matt Pacini