Expression 200T 5293

I am starting a 35mm feature in a few weeks, we are low budget and are shooting with what we are given, in this case EXR 200T 5293. I have not shot too much of this stock and am looking for any impressions or red flags from people more versed in the tendancies of the 5293. We have a fair amount of indoor nighttime scenes, indoor daytime scenes, as well as a night and day exteriors. Any dos and don'ts would be most appreciated regarding the possible pitfalls and visual perks of this stock.

Many Thanks,

Ben

• Premium Member
I am starting a 35mm feature in a few weeks, we are low budget and are shooting with what we are given, in this case EXR 200T 5293. I have not shot too much of this stock and am looking for any impressions or red flags from people more versed in the tendancies of the 5293. We have a fair amount of indoor nighttime scenes, indoor daytime scenes, as well as a night and day exteriors. Any dos and don'ts would be most appreciated regarding the possible pitfalls and visual perks of this stock.

Many Thanks,

Ben

That stock uses the older Kodak EXR technology, which was before the VISION and VISION2 films. Since the film was discontinued some time ago, be sure to have your lab check it for any effect of aging or improper storage (increased fog, increased graininess). Never hurts to give a bit more exposure when the stock may have aged. Don't underexpose old film.

It does NOT have the lower contrast "EXPRESSION" look.

• Premium Member

I just wrapped a short that was shot entirely on 5293.

All lab work was through Deluxe Hollywood - most of printer lights were high 30's, low 40's, so keep that in mind for my observations.;

I found rating it at 160 looked quite nice, 125 if you have the light to spare, but at 100 it became too noisy for my tastes - my tests showed that it was still alright when rated at 250, but beyond that it just became murky.

Considering how use to fine grained stocks we are, this stock has quite a bit of texture to it.

Be more specific with your exposures - it lacks the never ending latitude of more recent stocks and requires a bit more care when it comes to your lighting ratios.

I found it to be beautiful and I hope I get the opportunity to shoot with it again.