Digital Superimposing

Ernie Zahn

Hi, just curious as how to superimpose digitally. Is it something that can be done on Final Cut? Because I have Pro HD and Express 2. I imagine it's something like one shot with a green screen and the other would be the background you want or whatever.

• Premium Member
Hi, just curious as how to superimpose digitally. Is it something that can be done on Final Cut? Because I have Pro HD and Express 2. I imagine it's something like one shot with a green screen and the other would be the background you want or whatever.

There's a difference between a superimposition and a composite (aka travelling matte.) A superimposition is like a double-exposure, one image simply laid over another, ghosting over each other. A composite pastes one solid element over a different background with no ghosting.

• Premium Member

You can composite in FCP, but I wouldn't recomend it unless you want a 'superimposed' look. Compositing is best done in the best software you have (or can find). It is also a skill in itself. Unless you are talking perflectly lit 4:4:4 your going to need someone who has the experience to work out the best way of getting the sharpest cleanest composite- this is rarely a 'one click' affair. So find yourself a good shake/ discreet op and leave it to them- but for both of your sakes light it as cleanly as possible with as perfect a green screen as you can get.

Keith