K3-The final modification

Fulgencio Martinez

Hi,

I own a Krasnogorsk K3 camera wich i myself have modified to super16 gate.

I can shoot S16 but can only see 16 through the viewfinder.

I know it should be more dificult but,

Does anyone know a way to get the viewfinder modified to super16?

I´m shooting a 25p video doc and this would be a great help to raise the visuals at some moments.

Thanks

Fulgencio

i've got the same camera, same mod. i did a test with a simple card with cross hairs. the center is still basically the center... don't worry about the viewfinder, the difference was really slight. now what about adjusting the shutter angle with tape and paper?

Guest jeremy edge
Hi radar,

thanks for your answer, i know i could do an aproximate framing by guessing.

I really love the camera operating so a precise framing is important for me.

what is this about adjusting the shuuter with paper?

I´ve never heard about this before

I'm thinking of doing this super 16 mod to mine...but i'm a little scared I wont get Humpty Dumpty back together again! I see more and more have done this....how hard of a time did you guys have getting this camera back together and working properly? I'm curious. Mine already has a tobin sync motor already installed ...will this make things harder or easier ?

I agree that the viewfinder mod isnt worth the trouble ...you're just slightly off center.Not a huge deal.

I would also love to hear of anyone using slr primes on the k3 and what you're collection is?

so far i only have a super takumar 28mmm 3.5 but I'm looking at Zeiss flektagon 29mm 2.8 , 35mm 2.8 ,20mm 2.8 and 20mm f4. as well as other takumars .peleng 8mm and the zenitar 16mm 2.8. The camera sure is lighter without that zoom!

I'm thinking of doing this super 16 mod to mine...but i'm a little scared I wont get Humpty Dumpty back together again! I  see more and more have done this....how hard of a time did you guys have getting this camera back together and working properly? I'm curious. Mine already has a tobin sync motor already installed ...will this make things harder or easier ?

i guess it's a matter of opening up the front plate of the camera and taking a look inside... you want to go first? i'm thinking that the shutter can be modfied with some tape and hard plastic sheeting, like what's on the cover of a notebook or something. what do you think? it'd be cool to be able to get a 15º shutter on that camera.

as far as lenses go, i'm looking to get the peleng 8mm and maybe an attachment to use my regular pentax 35mm lenses.

I was bothered by the same problems. I tend to frame things fairly tight, so guessing at what you can't see always makes me a little uneasy. When I had my camera completely torn apart I tried to figure out a way to modify the viewfinder.

My conclusion was that it would be easier to build a new camera from scratch then to try and modify the K3. The light path and prisms are set into the cast aluminum. There is no easy way to shift the ground glass, and maintain that path without a complete remachining, and creation of brand new parts. The second problem being that I don't think the eyepeice will be near wide enough to see the full aspect ratio very well. You would only see the middle of the frame, and would really have to struggle to see one side or the other of the framing.

For a sub $200 camera you can't complain about it too much...

I was totally tempted to modify the shutter too. The shutters are so easy to take on and off that I was considering buying an extra one or two off ebay, and welding in little wedges to make some tighter shutter speeds. I'm sure tape and plastic sheet would work too, as long as you make sure it doesn't get knocked off and jam the film movement.

This ones a little complex.. stay with me here...

Razor blade, and screwdriver... :D

You just need to peel the thin sheetmetal plate off the front, to get to the screws. There are a couple of medium sized screws that hold the front of the camera body on. Once those are out it pulls right off. There are 3 or 4 little flat head screws in the center of the shutter. Pull those and your home free. Just mark the shutter and shaft with a permenent pen first so you know it goes back on in the correct orientation.

I polished the shutter really good while I had it off too just to make it a little brighter.. It's also a good time to clean the ground glass with some rubbing alcohol while you have extra room.

Cake!

Let me know if it works out.