Post Your Super 8 Footage

Guest Christopher Heston

Guest Christopher Heston

Hi, from what I've read on most of the postings from different topics, it seems that most of the questions people ask are about different types of super 8 cameras, brands, and models.

I'm hoping that people can post test footage, or any footage they feel like from their super 8 camera/s. I feel that if people were to post a clip of super 8 footage and note what camera shot it and what film stock was used, it would greatly benifit the support for the medium.

I will soon be posting a clip of Kodak Plus-x and Tri-x shot with a Canon 310XL.

Util then, post away, or tell us about your camera and the quality it produces.

-Chris

should it be ok to post pictures. it would be nice if anyone had multiple cameras if they could take the same shots at the same time and post the results. i wil try and do this, but i have to figure out a good way to get the frames uploaded to the web.

• Premium Member
should it be ok to post pictures.  it would be nice if anyone had multiple cameras if they could take the same shots at the same time and post the results. i wil try and do this, but i have to figure out a good way to get the frames uploaded to the web.

Too many variables in what you propose. The camera angle becomes different, and it's no longer the same piece of film stock.

I suppose one way to do what you propose is with "repeateable action" and quick release tripod plates, one for each camera, then very quickly switch the film cartridge to the next camera and repeat the shot.

Guest Christopher Heston
Too many variables in what you propose.  The camera angle becomes different, and it's no longer the same piece of film stock. 

I suppose one way to do what you propose is with "repeateable action" and  quick release tripod plates, one for each camera, then very quickly switch the film cartridge to the next camera and repeat the shot.

Okey, I understand what you're getting at. However, I had no intention to get extreamly technical. I just wanted people to post footage, stills, and general opinions of their cameras and the quality they get on them using different film stocks.

I know there are many factors, but I wanted people to share their general outcomes.

It would be nice to get a discussion going about what cameras might be better or worse than others - that sort of thing.

As for people trying to post stills of super 8 - the solution is aparently pretty simple. I've heard that all you need is a photo scanner. Simply scan the images on your processed roll of super 8.

-Chris

well chris i think what you propose is a great idea but if we are going to do it we should do it the best way we can to compare shots...also thank you for the brainstorming Alessandro, i should have been as specific as you about my proposal. but i think we can do this, and should do it Alessandros way if any of us has more than one camera. Cant wait to see your footage Downix i have a 1206sm and love it!!

• Premium Member

Thanks Josh,

I tried doing a "simulataneous" test with two of my Eng cameras. It was really difficult because no matter how close together I put the two cameras, I could not really match up the "angle" and as a result, the images just had a different "perspective" to them.

Plus one has a 1/2 chip and the other was a 2/3 chip so that probably didn't help either. B)

In terms of Super-8, it will be very important to make sure that every camera has the 85 filter operational and that whichever cameras are used all have the 85 filter set the same way. You can check the 85 filter by looking through the front of the lens and zooming the lens in.

The best test is to start with a Super-8 camera that you KNOW has the 85 filter in place, look through the front of the lens to see if the 85 filter is there, recognize what it looks like, then make sure your other cameras have the same "look" when you look through the front of the lens and zoom in.